Abbotsbury Subtropical Gardens
Address: Buller’s Way, Abbotsbury, DT3 4LA (Google map)
Telephone: 01305 871130
Abbotsbury Subtropical Gardens are situated in the historic village of Abbotsbury approximately 8 miles from the coastal towns of Weymouth and Bridport. The gardens are set in 20 acres of woodland valley protected by evergreen oaks and just a mile from Chesil Beach. The Victorian walled garden creates a unique micro climate and enables rare and exotic species from all over the world to thrive here. The Garden is a mixture of formal and informal flowers, famous for its Camellia groves and magnolias and well noted for its Rhododendron and Hydrangea collections.
Winner of the Historic Houses Association/Christie’s Garden of the Year Award 2012.
Facilities include a children’s play area, nature trail, colonial-style tea house, garden centre and gift shop. Free parking.
Abbotsbury Subtropical Gardens Tickets
|Entry only to Gardens||Online||On the door|
“Passport Ticket” allows entry to all three attractions (Swannery, Farm & Gardens). You don’t have to visit all attractions on the same day.
|Passport Ticket to Swannery, Gardens & Farm||Online||On the door|
|Family (2A, 3C)||£37.60||£47|
Quick History of the Gardens
The garden originates from 1765 when the 1st Countess of Ilchester built a castle on the site overlooking Lyme Bay. A short distance away a wall was built for a sheltered kitchen garden to provide fresh produce for the family. That walled garden is now the heart of Abbotsbury Subtropical Gardens that we can see today. During the 1800s the garden was expanded and woodlands planted. The range of plants was increased under the 4th Earl of Ilchester who was a diplomat in the foreign service and a leading botanist. He introduced many new species from a wide range of countries. The 5th Lord of Ilchester was also a devoted gardener and under his care the garden trebled in size by the close of the 19th century the gardens had become one of the finest collections in England. The castle burned down in 1915 and was demolished in 1934. The gardens remained but fell into neglect during the two world wars. Restoration began in the 1960s